Monday, March 7, 2011

New Grains Gluten Free Bakery -- Review

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, there is a new gluten free bakery in Provo called New Grains Gluten Free Bakery. I had the chance to go visit the bakery, meet the owner Nicole & try some products! It was a really fun experience.

This is the owner, Nicole, standing in front of the high-tech ovens in the bakery. (The bakery is all brand new and seriously amazing.) I asked Nicole to tell me a little bit about her family's history, and how they got started with the New Grains bakery.

Nicole told me how her husband was sick for many many years, and doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong. It was so bad at one point that he was on oxygen and walking with a cane at age 40! Finally, after going to clinic after clinic, a friend suggested he be tested for Celiac's Disease. Nicole, her husband and all seven of her children went to be tested, and the results were shocking. Her husband, as well as five of their seven children all had a gluten intolerance!

This is where Nicole's journey began, and she started experimenting and finding ways to bake the breads & desserts her children loved but without the gluten their bodies couldn't tolerate. She said it took a lot of time and a lot of mistakes, because gluten-free baking isn't as simple as substituting rice flour for wheat flour. You can end up with very dense baked goods! But now Nicole has refined her methods into some amazing bread & cookie recipes that taste delicious -- I honestly couldn't tell they didn't have wheat flour in them!

I was able to sample the Multigrain Bread, Cinnamon Raisin Bread, Sugar Cookies and Brownie Poppers. The multigrain bread was fluffy and delicious, and made great sandwiches & toast.

I made French toast with the Cinnamon Raisin bread, at Nicole's suggestion. Wowee! I'm a sucker for cinnamon raisin bread any day of the week (...and french toast too, I suppose), and this was amazing. The bread had a crisp outside with a fluffy inside and a texture just like bread I'm used to. I'm not gluten intolerant but I would so buy this bread again just to make french toast. Amazing!

Next I tried the sugar cookies. I frosted them with some store-bought cream cheese frosting and they were perfect. They were crispy & crunchy, with a yummy texture and tasted just like they looked -- delicious.

I'd like to say I tried the Brownie Poppers last, but I'm pretty sure they were half gone by the time I got home from the bakery. I just couldn't resist! They come in a perfect bite size, which pretty much ensures you'll eat a bunch of them. They were slightly crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside, just the way I love to eat brownies. Again, the texture & flavor were great. If brownies didn't go straight to my thighs, I'd buy these again too!

Overall, I was very impressed with New Grains Gluten Free Bakery. Nicole began baking as a necessity for her family, and is so passionate about helping children & adults lead normal lives with Celiac's Disease that she's started this amazing bakery to help make others' lives easier. What a noble cause! Their products are local and delicious, and I can't wait to contact my local grocers to get New Grains products in their stores!


Reminder...
Right now New Grains Gluten Free Bakery is marketing to local supermarkets, so they can carry their products and be purchased in-store locally. If your local supermarket doesn't carry New Grains products and you think it should -- let them know!

If your local supermarket does carry New Grains products, you can print 3 great coupons right now at Valpak.com to use when you purchase them! Score!


Disclaimer: This was an unpaid post and all opinions here are expressly my own. I received 4 bakery products to review prior to this post.

No comments:

Add This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...