Baked Potato Chowder
(Adapted from Fix, Freeze, Feast)
Makes 4 entrees, 6 servings each
10 lbs russet potatoes, baked and cooled
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
2 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
1/4 cup dried parsley
2 Tbsp beef boullion granules
1 Tbsp minced garlic (about 9 cloves)
1 Tbsp dried basil
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour
12 cups water
4 cups half-and-half (or light cream)
1 lb Cheddar cheese, cut into large chunks
4 one-gallon freezer bags, labeled
- Cut potatoes in half; scoop out flesh. Set potato aside and discard skins, or save as potato skins snack.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add parsley, boullion, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring, 2 minutes longer. Mixture will be like a paste. Gradually add water, half-and-half, and potato; cook, stirring frequently, until soup has thickened, about 30 minutes. Add cheese; cook, stirring, until melted. Cool.
- Divide cooled soup evenly among the freezer bags. Seal and freeze.
To Cook One Entree:
- Completely thaw one entree in the refrigerator.
- Bring the soup to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Do not boil.