Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What To Cook With Ground Beef: Swedish Meatballs

Dan's has fresh 80% lean ground beef on sale for $1.99/lb this week. This is a great price for ground beef. (It's $2.79/lb at Costco.)

A few weeks ago when Winco had a great price on ground beef, I talked with a few of my friends and discovered most of them didn't know what to cook with ground beef, so as a result they don't eat it or buy it often!

Since then, I've been preparing a few of my most favorite ground beef recipes to share with you and get you excited about cooking with ground beef. Without further ado....



Grandma Edna's Swedish Meatballs
(Recipe courtesy of my Scandinavian grandma, who was an amazing cook.)


4 lbs ground beef
2 packages Lipton Onion Soup
1/2 cup dry minced onion
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups cornflake crumbs
2/3 cup cornstarch
3 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1 can evaporated milk

1. Blend all ingredients thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.


2. Roll into balls and brown in margarine or butter. (I use a cookie scoop to get them uniform.)



3. Layer on a sheet cake pan. Add 1-2 cups of water into the bottom of the pan and bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes.


Variations: You can also hold out one package of Lipton soup and sprinkle it on top just before baking. (I choose to mix it inside because they freeze better this way.) You can also sprinkle 1/2 package of Knorr Pepper Sauce on top before baking.

When I make this recipe, I get about 80 meatballs and freeze them in batches of 20. That way I can get 4 meals per recipe. I serve them over teriyaki rice, make them into spaghetti & meatballs, or in a crockpot topped with BBQ sauce as an appetizer. They're so versatile and so delicious! Enjoy.

No comments:

Add This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...