Clothing swaps are becoming a big hit these days. They're definitely a frugal way to upcycle your children's old clothing & buy new for the coming season. I thought I'd share the details of how things work with two popular sites -- ThredUp and OutGrowingIn.
OutGrowingIn is a site that helps you swap kids & maternity clothes that have been outgrown or not being used. It's free to join, and might be a good way to do some spring cleaning in your childrens' closets! Here's how it works:
- Go HERE to register.
- The site is free, but if you enter code FREEYEAR while you're signing up, you'll get a year's worth of premium services & perks for free.
- OutGrowingIn will send you some prepaid shipping boxes.
- List your box of clothing (they help you specify sizes, genders, etc), pack it in the box and wait for someone to purchase.
- When someone purchases your box, you are emailed a pre-paid shipping label. Stick it on the box and drop it at the post office.
- Once you've listed a box, you get to choose a box (see, it's a swap!) and just pay $3 + shipping, which comes out to $14.95 or $15.95 (depending on premium or regular membership).
You end up getting about 15-ish children's items per box, so it's less than $1 per item. Not bad!
ThredUp is another clothing swap site just for children's clothing, and they actually had a great deal through DealPulp a few weeks ago. Here's how this one works:
- Go HERE to register an account. (Your first box is free for a limited time!)
- You can pick a box and pay $5 + shipping = $15.95
- ThredUp will send you mailing boxes.
- List your box of clothes (they will help you specify sizes & gender). And don't forget to check out their FAQ if you have troubles - they even have some helpful videos that show you how to pack a box.
Here again, you'll end up getting between 12 and 15 items per box, depending on the season, which comes out to around $1 a piece!