Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Homemade Freezer Burritos

I got tired of paying for tiny, overpriced frozen burritos, just to keep the hubby happy. So I decided to make my own!

Ingredients
10 Large Tortillas
1 Box Mexican Style Rice-A-Roni
3 Cans Refried Beans
Taco or other seasoning, to taste
1 Package Kraft Shredded Cheese
(You could also add Chicken or Ground Beef if you choose)


1. I started by cooking a box of Mexican Style Rice-A-Roni as directed on the box.

I used 3 cans of refried beans that I had in my pantry, but next time I'll use dry pinto beans & make my own. I also set out 2 packages of cheese and 2 packages of tortillas, because I didn't know how many I would need.

2. Mix the refried beans & cooked rice in a large bowl until well-combined.

3. Scoop a generous amount of mixture onto the center of a tortilla. Top with shredded cheese and roll up, "burrito" style. (It might take you a few tries to perfect your technique!) I used one entire bag of Kraft cheese.


4. Wrap the burrito tightly in aluminum foil.

5. Freeze and enjoy as needed! You can microwave these from frozen or thaw them first.

My mixture here actually made 11 burritos, but they're much bigger than the typical store-bought variety. They averaged out to $0.35 each for me, which is much cheaper (and healthier) than the alternative!

3 comments:

The Martin Family said...

I am totally going to do this for Ryan!
Thanks.

Hollie said...

Thanks for the idea! I think David will love these.

Melissa and Allen said...

Love it! My husband is obsessed with frozen burritos...

Add This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...